Level 6 Advanced Specialist Diploma in Child and Young Person Counselling
This course offers a professional progression route for counsellors seeking to gain counselling knowledge, skills and professional development in working with children and young people (CYP) aged 4–18 years old.
The course is aligned with the BACP Competency Framework for CYP training curriculum for ethical and effective practice with CYP. The course follows flexible Humanistic-Relational principals of therapy with an emphasis on experiential, creative and reflective practice.
To apply for this course candidates must be a qualified counsellor to L4 Diploma standard. Please see full entry requirements below.
The course runs on 12 Saturdays over 10 months September - June. Class dates are listed below.
L6 DIPLOMA IN WORKING WITH CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE IS FOR:
- Post-qualified counsellors who wish to begin working with CYP.
Key Study Areas:
- Ethical and Professional Practice
- Child Protection and Safeguarding
- Child and Adolescent Development and Transitions
- Communication with CYP
- Beginnings and endings with CYP
- Risk Assessment
- Working in the Context of the Counselling Settings
- Cultural diversity
- Theory and developmental transitions
- Collaborative assessments, risk and outcomes
- Engagement, relationships and emotions
- Mental Health and pharmacology
- Qualified Counsellor to minimum L4 Diploma level
- Membership of BACP or equivalent professional body.
- Two referees (one of whom should be your counselling supervisor)
- Enhanced DBS Check
- Counselling Supervisor with established CYP experience.
- Previous experience of working with CYP desirable.
- Currently in practice as counsellors/psychotherapists.
- External candidates will be required to submit an assignment prior to interview.
- Candidates are required to undertake a minimum of 20 sessions of therapy during the course
- There will be a creative presentation integrating Theory and Practice. Journals and a log of 50 CYP placement hours. There are two casework assignments and a placement and supervisor report. All the work will be assessed and marked; the qualification is awarded on attainment of a pass mark.
Dates & Times:
12 Saturdays, 7 hours per class; 9.30am – 4.30pm
2021: Sept 4th, Sept 11th, Oct 9th, Nov 6th, Dec 4th.
2022: Jan 8th, Feb 5th, Mar 5th, Mar 26th, Apr 30th, May 21st, Jun 25th.
- We are happy to take a deposit and spread the remaining fees over a number of monthly payments Applications:
To apply for this course please click the application button below and we will send you a full application form and invite you to interview.
This L6 course is accredited by the ABC Awards Quality Licence Scheme.
Click the toggle below for more information
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that CCT has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 6 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by CCT to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards/Certa endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards and Certa Awards also offer regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales