L6 Specialist Diploma in Couples Counselling
This post-qualifying advanced specialist diploma in relationship training is designed for experienced counsellors and psychotherapists from a variety of theoretical backgrounds who would like to develop the skills and knowledge to become a competent relationship counsellor.
Our approach at CCT is both integrative and supportive, looking at the development of relationships and incorporating theories from attachment, systemic and psychodynamic theories whilst using skills practice to develop and deepen your own existing theoretical understanding.
The course consists of experiential exercises, theoretical input, skills practice sessions, case studies and time for reflecting on one’s own practice.
Subjects covered include:
- Managing the dynamic relationship.
- Sexuality, couples and other types of relationships.
- Exploring your own reflective process.
- Working in the room with the couple. Integrating theory to skills.
- Psychodynamic ideas behind the couple fit, shared defences and agendas.
- Communication, conflict, affairs, divorce and endings.
- Use of supervision in clinical work.
- Managing ethical dilemmas and understanding and working within the professional and ethical requirements appropriate to the candidate’s professional body.
Entry requirements - Candidates must:
- Be qualified to level 4 or 5 Diploma level in counselling or psychotherapy.
- Have at least 2 years post qualifying experience as a practising counsellor/psychotherapist consisting of at least 450 hours (including placement hours whilst a student) in supervised practice.
- Provide a reference from their current supervisor stating that they are ready to start working with couples.
Course requirements - candidates will need to be:
- Currently in practice as counsellors/psychotherapists.
- Able to find a suitable work placement.
- Receiving supervision for their work from a suitably qualified and experienced supervisor.
A tutor marked/observed practice skills assessment and evaluation. There will be a creative presentation integrating Theory and Practice. Journals, Log of 40 hours clinical couple work and a log of supervision. At the end of the course a case study (3,000 - 3,500 words) will be submitted. Submission of a portfolio where all the work will be assessed and marked; the qualification is awarded on attainment of a pass mark.
Dates & Times
This course runs once a month over 10 months on a Saturday, class times 9.30am – 4.30pm
2021 - Sep 18th, Oct 23rd, Nov 13th, Dec 18th
2022 – Jan 22nd, Feb 26th, Mar 26th, Apr 30th, May 14th, June 11th
£1800 total for the course. We are happy to take a 10% deposit and spread the remainder over the duration of the course.
These will vary depending on personal circumstances, but these should be taken into consideration when applying. We are unable to contribute to any of these additional costs. These costs may include:
- Any travel and accommodation costs, it is advised that you do not book these until course dates are confirmed.
- Buying books/resources etc.
- Personal supervision
To apply for this course please click the button below and we will send you a full application form and arrange an interview date.
This L6 course is accredited by the ABC Awards Quality Licence Scheme.
Click the toggle below for more information
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that CCT has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 6 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by CCT to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards/Certa endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards and Certa Awards also offer regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales